Kiel Opera House (NRIS 00000016)

Address: 1400 Market St., St. Louis (Independent City), MO. County/parish: St. Louis.

1 contributing building.

Added to the National Register of Historic Places February 11, 2000.

From Wikipedia:

Peabody Opera House
The Peabody Opera House is a civic performing arts building in St. Louis, Missouri. Founded as the Kiel Opera House, it opened in 1934 and operated until 1991, when it and the adjacent Kiel Auditorium were closed so the auditorium could be demolished and replaced by the Scottrade Center. When the auditorium was slated for demolition, the owners of the complex promised to rehabilitate the opera house as well. The owners, however, never renovated the building, instead claiming that they had fulfilled their financial obligations. In June 2009, the St. Louis Board of Aldermen voted 25-1 to subsidize the renovation and reopening of the Opera House under the direction of its new owners, Sports Capital Partners. The subsidies were funded by municipal bonds and state/federal historic tax credits. On July 12, 2010, it was announced that the name of the opera house would be changed to the Peabody Opera House, named after the company Peabody Energy. The renovation lasted for fourteen months and included the construction of a new entrance for the building. (read more...)

Architects:

  • Keil-Boaz Construction Co.
  • LaBeaume and Klein

Architectural styles:

  • Classical Revival