Bartlett's Bridge (NRIS 00000077)

Address: Clara Barton Rd. over the French R., Oxford, MA. County/parish: Worcester.

Added to the National Register of Historic Places February 10, 2000.

From Wikipedia:

Bartlett's Bridge
Bartlett's Bridge is a historic stone arch bridge carrying Clara Barton Road over the French River in Oxford, Massachusetts. The bridge was built in 1889 to a design by Charles A. Allen, at the time a civil engineer for the city of Worcester. The bridge was built to replace an older wooden span at the request of Edwin Bartlett, the owner of textile mills in North Oxford, whose businesses and employees would have used the road. The bridge is 30 feet (9.1 m) long and 42 feet (13 m) wide, with its elliptical arch reaching a height of 13 feet (4.0 m) above the river. The facing of the bridge is rough-cut granite that has been fixed with mortar. In contrast, the granite stones that make up the arch have been very precisely worked. The bridge has parapet walls made of large granite slabs 4.5 feet (1.4 m), 2 feet (0.61 m) wide, and 1 foot (0.30 m) thick. (read more...)

Architects:

  • Allen, Charles A.
  • et al.

Architectural styles:

  • No Style Listed