Somerset Hotel (NRIS 00000153)

Address: 1152-1154 S. Wabash Ave., Chicago, IL. County/parish: Cook.

1 contributing building.

Added to the National Register of Historic Places March 03, 2000.

From Wikipedia:

Somerset Hotel
The Somerset Hotel is a historic hotel building located at 1152-1154 S. Wabash Ave. in downtown Chicago, Illinois. Built in 1892–93, the hotel was originally owned by physician Frank Stringfield. Architect Jules De Horvath designed the hotel in the Romanesque Revival style. De Horvath's design bore similarities to many other Chicago buildings, most notably the 1888 Virginia Hotel at Ohio and Rush Streets. The Somerset Hotel was a significant part of a hotel and commercial district which formed between the 12th Street station on the South Side Elevated Railroad and Central Station. The hotel changed its name to the Mayer Hotel in 1910; in the 1920s, it again changed its name to the Hotel Roosevelt, which it was called until the 1990s. (read more...)

Architects:

  • De Horvath, Jules

Architectural styles:

  • Romanesque