Hale Avenue Historic District (NRIS 87001349)
Roughly bounded by Hale Ave., Poplar St., Ford Ave., and Walnut St.,
AR. County/parish: Mississippi.
6 contributing buildings.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
September 14, 1987.
Part of Osceola MRA
- Hale Avenue Historic District
- The Hale Avenue Historic District encompasses a significant portion of the central business district of Osceola, Arkansas. It extends for five blocks along Hale Avenue, between Ash and Maple Streets, and includes a few buildings on adjacent streets. The focal point of the district is the Mississippi County Courthouse, and the block of buildings opposite it on Hale Avenue. Although Osceola was founded in 1875, it was relocated beginning in 1900 to be closer to the railroad, with Hale Avenue as the major east-west route. This began a period of growth in the city which continued through much of the 1920s. Most of buildings on these blocks of Hale Avenue result from this time, and a number of those built later were built in an architecturally sympathetic manner. (read more...)