Brown House (NRIS 90000223)
76 Bridge St.,
MA. County/parish: Essex.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
March 09, 1990.
Part of First Period Buildings of Eastern Massachusetts TR
- Brown House (Hamilton, Massachusetts)
- The Brown House is a historic First Period house at 76 Bridge Street in Hamilton, Massachusetts. Like most early colonial houses this 2.5 story wood frame house was built in stages. The oldest portion, the central chimney and the rooms to its right, are estimated to have been built between 1662 and 1673, based in part on the use of roof constructions methods derived from East Anglian practices that fell out of favor after that time. The left side rooms were built later in the 17th century, using different roof construction techniques, as was a leanto section extending across the width of the house. The leanto was demolished in the early 20th century, but preservationist William Sumner Appleton was able to acquire some architectural elements for the collections of the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities (now Historic New England). (read more...)