Boardman, John, House (NRIS 90000361)
6 Lawrence Rd.,
MA. County/parish: Essex.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
March 09, 1990.
Part of First Period Buildings of Eastern Massachusetts TR
- John Boardman House
- The John Boardman House is a historic First Period house at 6 Lawrence Road in Boxford, Massachusetts. The main portion of the 2.5 story saltbox colonial was built c. 1740 in Saugus, Massachusetts, and features significant First Period details despite its comparatively late date of construction for that period. The house bears some resemblance to the house of John Boardman's grandfather, William (now a National Historic Landmark), which still stands in Saugus. When first built it was a double cell plan central chimney structure; the leanto section in the back is estimated to have been added c. 1800. While still located in Saugus, the building underwent a restoration by Earl Newton with the assistance of Abbott Lowell Cummings. It was moved to its present location in 1956. (read more...)