South Gilboa Railroad Station (NRIS 00000090)
Bailey Spur Rd.,
New York. County/parish: Schoharie.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
February 25, 2000.
- South Gilboa station
- South Gilboa station is a disused train station in South Gilboa, New York. The original station, at MP 70.4, was a spartan facility with a long platform on the end for ice from Mayhem's Pond, which the station was on the shores of, to be loaded onto. The ice would then be shipped to the ice houses in Kingston, New York. However, this building was torn down by the Ulster and Delaware Railroad, and replaced with a new one in the early 1900s.The new South Gilboa Station, MP 70.6, was one of the U&D's new pre-fabricated stations that were set up in the early 1900s. It was about a quarter of a mile east of the original station, and was a good freight stop, with many farms around for vegetables, fruit, dairy, etc. to be loaded onto for shipment.This station was abandoned in 1954, with the end of passenger service on the U&D, and was left to deteriorate. However, this station is planned to be restored by the Town of Gilboa Historical Society. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000 as the South Gilboa Railroad Station. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/00000090