Fort St. Pierre Site (NRIS 00000263)
Mississippi. County/parish: Warren.
1 contributing site.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
February 16, 2000.
Also known as:
- Fort St. Claude des Yasous
- Fort St. Peter
- Site 23-M-5
- Yazoo Post
- Fort St. Pierre Site
- Fort St. Pierre was a colonial French fortified outpost on the Yazoo River in what is now Warren County, Mississippi. Also known as Fort St. Claude and the Yazoo Post, it was established in 1719 and served as the northernmost outpost of French Louisiana. It was destroyed in 1729 by Native Americans and was not rebuilt. Its location, north of Vicksburg on the east bank of the river, was discovered by archaeologists in the 1970s, and was given the Smithsonian trinomial 23-M-5. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2000.
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/00000263