West, John T., School (NRIS 00000315)
1435 Bolton St.,
Norfolk (Independent City),
VA. County/parish: Norfolk.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
September 27, 2006.
- John T. West School
- John T. West School, also known as Tanner's Creek School No. 4 and Barborsville School, was a historic school for African-American students located at Norfolk, Virginia. It was built in 1906, and was a two-story, Colonial Revival style brick building with a hipped roof. In 1913, it was doubled in size with an addition to the south and connected via a two-story ell. A one-story brick cafeteria was added in 1950 and a music room about 1960. In 1911, the building hosted the first public African-American high school classes in the city of Norfolk. It continued holding elementary school classes until its closure in 1980. It was demolished in August 2006. (read more...)