Maple Hill Cemetery (NRIS 00000318)
N. Holly St.,
Arkansas. County/parish: Phillips.
1 contributing building.
1 contributing site.
5 contributing objects.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
April 06, 2000.
Also known as:
- Maple Hill Cemetery (Helena-West Helena, Arkansas)
- Maple Hill Cemetery is located on Holly Street, north of the center of Helena, Arkansas. It is set on 37 acres (15 ha) of land on the east side of Crowley's Ridge, overlooking the Mississippi River, and is the city's largest cemetery. The cemetery was established in 1865, and is laid out in the rural cemetery style which was popular in the mid-19th century. It departs from the norms of this style in retaining a largely rectilinear layout despite having parklike features. The cemetery's entrance is through an elaborately-decorated wrought iron archway, whose posts were given in 1914, and whose arch was given in 1975. The largest monument in the cemetery is the Coolidge Monument, placed by Henry P. Coolidge on the family plot, which is at the highest point of section 3; the monument is a granite column 21 feet (6.4 m) in height, with a life-size sculpture of Coolidge on top.Most of the cemetery (an area of 28.5 acres (11.5 ha) excluding the then-empty section 6) was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. Helena's Confederate Cemetery, located in the southwest corner of this cemetery, is also separately listed on the National Register. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/00000318