19 contributing buildings.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places May 28, 2019.
Also known as:
The Minnesota State Sanatorium for Consumptives, also known as the Ah-Gwah-Ching Center, was opened in 1907 to treat tuberculosis patients. The name "Ah-Gwah-Ching" means "out-of-doors" in the Ojibwe language. The center remained a treatment center for tuberculosis until January 1, 1962. During that time, it treated nearly 14,000 patients. In 1962, it became a state nursing home known as the Ah-Gwah-Ching Nursing Home, serving geriatric patients with various mental and physical illnesses. At its peak in the 1970s, the nursing home had as many as 462 patients.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/01000766