731 contributing buildings. 1 contributing site.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places December 23, 2004.
Part of Durham MRA (NRIS 64000452).
East Durham Historic District is a national historic district located at Durham, Durham County, North Carolina. The district encompasses 731 contributing buildings and 1 contributing site (Barbee Graveyard) in a predominantly residential section of Durham. The buildings primarily date between about 1890 and 1955 and include notable examples of Classical Revival and Queen Anne architecture. Notable buildings include the Holloway Street School (1928), East Durham Junior High School (c. 1940), Advent Christian Church (1920s), John Cheek House (1899), Community Groceries (1900), George Brown Grocery Store (1920), Seagroves Grocery Store (1915), and The People's Bank (1921).
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/04001393