First Evangelical Lutheran Church (NRIS 100000558)
1115 N. D St.,
Arkansas. County/parish: Sebastian.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
January 24, 2017.
Also known as:
- First German Evangelical Lutheran Church
- First Lutheran Church
- First Evangelical Lutheran Church (Fort Smith, Arkansas)
- The First Evangelical Lutheran Church is a historic church building at 1115 North D Street in Fort Smith, Arkansas. It is a large limestone structure, built in a cruciform plan with a pair of towers flanking its main facade. It was built in 1901-04 to a design by William Hornor Blakely, a prominent local architect. The congregation for which it was built was formally established in 1852 by German immigrants to the area. Its first church, completed in 1869, stood nearby, and was converted to educational use by the congregation.The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/100000558