Garver's Supply Company Factory and Office (NRIS 100001445)
3244 Atwood Ave.,
Wisconsin. County/parish: Dane.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
August 07, 2017.
Also known as:
- Garver Feed and Supply Company
- United States Sugar Beet Company
- Garver Feed Mill
- Garver Feed Mill is a historic building complex located in Madison, Wisconsin, adjacent to Olbrich Botanical Gardens. The building was added to the Wisconsin State Register of Historic Places on May 19, 2017, and to the National Register of Historic Places (listed as "Garver's Supply Company Factory and Office") on August 7, 2017.The structure was built in 1905 for the U.S. Sugar Company, serving as a sugar beet processing plant from 1906 to 1924. The site was purchased in 1930 by James R. Garver, remodeled and became the main facility for Garver's Supply Company.
As of December 2017, the building and grounds are undergoing restoration to open the site to the public as a venue for local food producers and restaurants and as an event space. The restoration work on the main building is expected to be completed in Spring 2019, after which small lodging structures will be installed to the north of the building. Officials with the city of Madison are hoping that Garver Feed Mill will become a location for second-stage food producers and will serve as an anchor for a "food innovation corridor" in the city. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/100001445