Johnson--Portis House (NRIS 100001648)
400 N. Avalon St.,
Arkansas. County/parish: Crittenden.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
September 21, 2017.
Also known as:
- Hawthorne Place
- Site #CT0187
- Johnson-Portis House
- The Johnson-Portis House is a historic house at 400 Avalon Street in West Memphis, Arkansas. Built 1936-38, it is a prominent local example of Tudor Revival architecture, designed by architects George Mahan Jr. and Everett Woods. It has a steeply pitched roof with half-timbered gables, and small-paned windows, all hallmarks of the style, and is set on an estate property landscaped by Highberger and Park. The property was developed for J.C. Johnson, a local judge.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/100001648