Genesee County Savings Bank Building (NRIS 100001836)
352 S Saganaw St.,
Michigan. County/parish: Genesee.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
November 27, 2017.
- Genesee County Savings Bank
- The Genesee County Savings Bank is an office building located at 352 South Saginaw Street in Flint, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017.The Genesee County Savings Bank was founded in 1872. In 1915, the bank opened a new headquarters at the corner of Kearsley and Saginaw Streets. In 1916, the bank consolidated some business aspects with the First National Bank of Flint. Due to Flint's booming economy, both banks were outgrowing their headquarters, and in 1919, Genesee County Savings Bank constructed this new building only a block from their old headquarters. Over the rest of the 1920s, the bank grew tremendously, and in 1929 fully merged with the First National Bank, renaming itself the First National Bank and Trust Company. However, the 1930s also brought the Great Depression, and in 1933 the bank merged with the Union Industrial Savings Bank in order to remain open. However, both banks soon entered receivership. Liquidation of the First National Bank and Trust Company's assets, including this building, began in 1934, and was not completed until 1940.As of 2017, the building was long vacant, and Uptown Development Corporation planned on redeveloping the building into a 100-room hotel. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/100001836