Address: 46th Ave. between 164th & 165th St., Queens, New York. County/parish: Queens.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places February 02, 2018.
Also known as:
Old Town of Flushing Burial Ground is a historic cemetery located in the Flushing section of the New York City borough of Queens. It was established in 1840 and known as The Olde Towne of Flushing Burial Ground. It was the result of Cholera and Smallpox epidemics in 1840 and 1844, added by town elders north of Flushing Cemetery due to fears of contamination of church burial grounds. Once known as “Pauper Burial Ground”, “Colored Cemetery of Flushing” and “Martins Field”, it was purchased by the NYC Parks Department on December 2, 1914 and renamed in 2009 to “The Olde Towne of Flushing Burial Ground”. It is co-located with a children's playground called “Martin’s Field”. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/100002079