Address: 14-36 S 40th St., 4001 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. County/parish: Philadelphia.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places April 17, 2018.
Also known as:
The West Philadelphia Streetcar Suburb Historic District is an area of West Philadelphia listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It represented the transformation of Philadelphia's rural farmland into urban residential development, made possible by the streetcar, which provided easy access to Center City. This is an early example of the streetcar suburb.
Development had proceeded during the 19th century to about 43rd Street. The arrival of electrified streetcars in 1892 accelerated development to the west and southwest.
Noted Philadelphia church architect Isaac Pursell (1853-1910) designed the contributing Christ Memorial Church (1887) at 4233-4257 Chestnut Street.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/100002341