Address: 4201 Maple Dam Rd., Cambridge Vicinity, Maryland. County/parish: Dorchester.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places June 29, 2018.
Also known as:
The Captain Robert S. Craig Cottage, also known as Bay Breeze, is a historic building located in Ocean City, Worcester County, Maryland, United States. It is a simple 1½-story rectangular frame structure with a gable roof. The full-width front porch is capped with an open X-cross balustrade. A two-bedroom rental apartment was added to the rear of the house around 1964. About the same time a tool shed that originally stood on a lot at Thirteenth and Philadelphia Avenue was moved to this location and converted into an efficiency rental apartment.
The significance of this house is its association with Captain Robert S. Craig who developed and led the Ocean City Beach Patrol (OCBP), the local lifeguard organization. For nearly three decades this building served as its headquarters and a residence for summer lifeguards. It was designed by Craig and built from 1949 to 1950. His son Robert designed the rear addition and had the tool shed moved here. During the time the building served the OCBP, the organization became known across the country for its management and ocean rescue operation. It was Craig who had the lifeguards utilize semaphore communications among themselves and integrated innovative rescue technology. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017.(read more...)
Hughes A.M.E. Chapel, also known as the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church and the Nause-Waiwash Longhouse, is a historic building located near Cambridge in Dorchester County, Maryland, United States. It is a simple rectangular frame structure, three-bays in length, with a medium-pitched gable roof. The exterior is covered with weatherboard siding and the windows are covered with shutters. The former church building is a common example of late 19th and early 20th century religious buildings that were built in rural communities on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. It was located in the Bucktown area, which was home to bi- and tri-racial people who were descended from Native, African, and European Americans. The building has been occupied throughout its existence including ancestors of the Nause-Waiwash Band of Indians, who acquired the building in 1998. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/100002630