Address: Pleasant St., Greenwood and Pawtucket Aves, East Providence, Rhode Island. County/parish: Providence.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places August 06, 2018.
Rumford, Rhode Island is the northern section of the city of East Providence, Rhode Island. It borders Seekonk, Massachusetts, Pawtucket, Rhode Island, and the Ten Mile River (Seekonk River). Rumford has been part of three towns and two states: Rehoboth, Massachusetts, Seekonk, Massachusetts, and East Providence, Rhode Island. It became part of Rhode Island in 1862. Rumford Baking Powder was made in the town at the Rumford Chemical Works and was named after Sir Benjamin Thompson, Count Rumford.
Wannamoisett Country Club was established in Rumford in 1898 on land rented from Rumford Chemical Works, and it hosts the Northeast Amateur Invitational Golf Tournament each year. The 1931 PGA Championship was played here.
About 150 acres (61 ha) of the Rumford area was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, encompassing the historic heart of old Seekonk and the 19th-century center of East Providence.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/100002777