Mason and Dixon West Line Milestone Markers 76 and 77 (NRIS 100002789)
716 Mason Dixon Rd.,
Maryland. County/parish: Frederick.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
August 21, 2018.
- Mason and Dixon West Line Milestone Markers 76 and 77
- The Mason and Dixon West Line Milestone Markers 76 and 77 are historic objects located in Frederick County, Maryland and Adams County, Pennsylvania, United States, near the community of Harney, Maryland. They are two of the original milestones that mark the Mason-Dixon line between the states of Maryland and Pennsylvania. Oolite limestone was quarried and carved on the Isle of Portland in the English Channel. Both were part of the third shipment of milestones and they arrived in Baltimore in June 1767. Stones from this shipment were placed in 1767 to mark mile 64 and miles 66 through 132 on the West Line. Both of these sites were surveyed on August 24, 1765. Milestone 76 was set on October 13, 1767. Milestone 77 was set the following day 125 yards (114 m) to the east of its true location, which is in the middle of Marsh Creek. It is one of two milestones intentionally offset due to the challenges of its true location.The milestones were originally 4.5 feet (1.4 m) long and 12 inches (30 cm) square and were capped with a low pyramidal top. When they were set they stood 3 feet (0.91 m) above the ground. An "M" for Maryland is on the south face and a "P" for Pennsylvania is on the north face. They were embellished with decorative fluting. Both stones were reset in 1902 at 1.5 feet (0.46 m) and 1.8 feet (0.55 m) respectively. Both are shorter now and some of their decorative elements are fainter after having been worn down by the elements. The milestones were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018.This listing was completed by a volunteer, learning, reseaching and documenting on someone else's borrowed time in order to honor a final wish. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/100002789