First National Bank of Davenport (NRIS 100002918)
1606 Brady St.,
Iowa. County/parish: Scott.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
September 13, 2018.
- First National Bank of Davenport
- The First National Bank of Davenport is an historic building located in central Davenport, Iowa, United States. The three-story Modern Movement building was built in 1967 for the First National Bank of Davenport, a part of the Brenton Bank network in Iowa. It is significant for its architecture, new formalist modernism that is also exemplified in the Davenport Public Library building downtown. It also marks the shift from the historical revival styles and the more restricted expressions of Modernism. The three-story concrete and steel frame structure was designed by the local architectural firm of Stewart-Robison-Laffan. After the bank discontinued its operations, the building was acquired by the Davenport Community School District for its offices and other programs. In July 2018 the school district moved its operations into a former school building across the street. Newbury Living of West Des Moines, Iowa is converting the building into a mixed-use project that includes 35 market-rate apartments. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/100002918