Foley Downtown Historic District (Boundary Increase)

Parts of N&S Alston, N & S McKenzie, Laurel & Pine Sts., W Myrtle, E & W Rose, W. Orange & W Jessamine Aves., Foley, Alabama. County/parish: Baldwin.

NRIS 100003122

Added to the National Register of Historic Places September 20, 2019.

From Wikipedia:

Foley Downtown Historic District

The Foley Downtown Historic District, in Foley, Alabama, is a historic district which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. The district was amended by a boundary decrease listing in 2012, and a boundary increase in 2019.

Boundaries originally encompassed parts of Alston, N. and S. McKenzie, U.S. Route 98, E. and W. Laurel, Myrtle, Rose, and W. Orange until a boundary decrease of June 4, 2012

The original listing included 29 contributing buildings and one contributing site on 230.6 acres (93.3 ha). It included:

  • the Depot, i.e. the former railroad depot of Foley, which in 2003 was the City of Foley History Museum, at 125 East Laurel Avenue, (c. 1909; 1971; 1995). This is a one-story weatherboard Craftsman style depot building with a hipped and cross gable roof, decorative wood brackets, and a brick foundation. The building was moved Magnolia Springs in 1971 and was moved back to its original site in Foley in 1995.

  • a Masonic Temple building (c.1925), designed in Mission Revival style by George B. Rogers of Mobile (see photo #25)

Location: Parts of Alston, N & S McKenzie, AL 98, E & W Laurel, Myrtle, Rose, and W. Orange

Architects who have one or more works in the district include Frank Lockwood and Warren, Knight & Davis.

Architecture: Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, et al. Historic function: Domestic; Commerce/trade; Government; Social; Religion; Industry/processing/extraction; Health Care Historic subfunction: Single Dwelling; Hotel; Specialty Store; Warehouse; Restaurant; City Hall; Meeting Hall Criteria: event, architecture/engineering

Foley Downtown Historic District (Boundary Decrease) Location: Parts of Alston, McKenzie, N. & S. Laurel & W. Orange Sts. Date added: June 4, 2012

It includes one or more works by architect Frank Lockwood.

Historic function: Government; Commerce/trade; Health Care; Recreation And Culture; Domestic; Landscape Historic subfunction: Post Office; Specialty Store; Hospital; Auditorium; Park; Single Dwelling; Business Criteria: event, event, architecture/engineering, architecture/engineering Number of acres: 19.4 Number of contributing buildings: 28 Number of contributing sites: 1

(read more...)

National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/100003122

LC