Address: Roughly bounded by Wyoming St., Elkhorn Cr. and the Tug R., Welch, West Virginia. County/parish: McDowell.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places December 14, 2018.
Welch Commercial Historic District is a national historic district located at Welch, McDowell County, West Virginia. The district includes 56 contributing buildings and one contributing structure in Welch's central business district. It includes a variety of retail stores, banks and offices, with some having apartment rental on their top floors. Also on the district is a municipal parking garage built in 1941. Notable buildings include The Liberty Building (c. 1925), Flat Iron Building (c. 1915), Bablis Building (c. 1925), former City Hall (c. 1925), Odd Fellows Temple (1929), Carter Hotel-Tyson Tower Building (1924), Wyoming-Elkhorn Apartment Building (c. 1920), McDowell County National Bank (1900), and McDowell County Courthouse Annex Building (1935).
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992, and its boundaries were increased in 2018.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/100003251