Cass, Lewis, Technical High School (NRIS 10000644)
2421 Second Ave,
MICHIGAN. County/parish: Wayne.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
March 29, 2011.
Part of Public Schools of Detroit MPS
- Cass Technical High School
- Cass Technical High School, commonly referred to as Cass Tech, is a four-year university preparatory high school in Midtown Detroit, United States. The school is named in honor of Lewis Cass, an American military officer and politician who served as governor of the Michigan Territory from 1813 until 1831. The school is a part of Detroit Public Schools.
Until 1977, Cass was Detroit's only magnet school and the only non-neighborhood enrollment school in Detroit. Today, Cass is one of few magnet schools in Detroit. Entrance to Cass is based on test scores and middle school grades. Students are required to choose a curriculum path—roughly equivalent to a college "major"—in the ninth grade. Areas of study include, but are not limited to, arts and communication, business management and marketing, engineering and manufacturing, human services, and science and arts. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/10000644