Waverly Downtown Historic District

Roughly surrounding W. Main St. from County Dr. W. to Coppahaunk Ave., Waverly, Virginia. County/parish: Sussex.

NRIS 13000344

48 contributing buildings. 1 contributing site.

Added to the National Register of Historic Places May 28, 2013.

Also known as:

  • VDHR File # 323-5019

From Wikipedia:

Waverly Downtown Historic District

The Waverly Downtown Historic District is a national historic district located at Waverly, Sussex County, Virginia. The district encompasses 48 contributing buildings, 1 contributing site, and 2 contributing structures in the central business district of Waverly. The buildings represent a variety of popular architectural styles including Folk Victorian and Italianate. They include residential, commercial, governmental, and institutional buildings dating from the mid-19th to mid-20th centuries. Notable buildings include the Waverly Municipal Hall (c. 1880), Atlantic and Danville Railroad Station (c. 1883), Masonic Lodge/Town Hall (c. 1897), Boarding House (c. 1900), Moss Hardware Building (c. 1915), Fleetwood Building (1904), Warner Grammer Store (c. 1904), Wilcox Building (c. 1904), former Waverly Post Office/ Palace Cigar and Pool Room (1961), and Waverly Town Shops and Water Tower (1932).

It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2013.

(read more...)

National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/13000344

LC