Glen Eyrie (Boundary Increase) (NRIS 16000866)
3820 N. 30th St.,
Colorado. County/parish: El Paso.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
December 20, 2016.
- Glen Eyrie
- Glen Eyrie is an English Tudor-style castle built in 1871 by General William Jackson Palmer, the founder of Colorado Springs. There are 17 guest rooms (12 Deluxe guest rooms and 5 premier guest rooms) in the castle, as well as 7 meeting rooms to include the Castle Great Hall (2200 square feet room in the castle that can hold up to 240 people) and 2 dining rooms in the castle (The Castle King James Hall has seating for 180 people and the Castle Music & Library rooms for seating for up to 58 people). This house was his and his wife's dream home and is near Colorado Springs in the northwest foothills just north of the Garden of the Gods rock formations (now a city park). After building a large carriage house, where the family lived for a time, Palmer and his wife Mary (Queen) Mellen built a 22-room frame house on the 800-acre (3.2 km2) estate. This house was remodeled in 1881 to include a tower and additional rooms, and made to resemble a stone castle in 1903, reminiscent of those native to England.
Queen Palmer, at age 21, opened the first public school in Colorado Springs in November 1871. The Palmers had three daughters, Elsie, Dorothy, and Marjory.
In 1880, Mrs. Palmer suffered a mild heart attack and was advised to move to a lower altitude. She and the girls moved to the East Coast and then to England where General Palmer visited them as often as he could. Queen died on December 28, 1894, at the age of 44. In sorrow, General Palmer went to England to return Mrs. Palmer's remains and the girls to Colorado Springs. They at this time decided to tear down their home and in memory of his wife because she so enjoyed the feel of a castle home they re-built the 33,000 square foot castle for her. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/16000866