Address: Derby St. between Orange, Essex, and Koselusko St. and Salem Harbor, Salem, Massachusetts. County/parish: Essex.
Park name: Salem Maritime. 7 contributing buildings. 1 contributing site.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places October 15, 1966.
Also known as:
The Salem Maritime National Historic Site is a National Historic Site consisting of 12 historic structures, one replica tall-ship, and about 9 acres (36,000 m2) of land along the waterfront of Salem Harbor in Salem, Massachusetts. Salem Maritime is the first National Historic Site established in the United States (March 17, 1938). It interprets the Triangle Trade during the colonial period, in cotton, rum, sugar and slaves; the actions of privateers during the American Revolution; and global maritime trade with the Far East, after independence. The National Park Service manages both the National Historic Site and a Regional Visitor Center in downtown Salem. The National Park Service (NPS) is an agency of the United States Department of the Interior.
In 2014, the National Park Service, which runs the Salem Maritime National Historic Site, released figures and statistics for 2012: there were 756,038 visitors to Salem who spent an estimated $40,000,000. The National Park Service celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2016.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/66000048