Address: Western terminus of AL 180, Gasque, Alabama. County/parish: Baldwin.
2 contributing buildings. 1 contributing site.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places October 15, 1966.
Fort Morgan is a historic masonry pentagonal bastion fort at the mouth of Mobile Bay, Alabama, United States. Named for Revolutionary War hero Daniel Morgan, it was built on the site of the earlier Fort Bowyer, an earthen and stockade type fortification involved in the final land battles of the War of 1812. Construction was completed in 1834 and it received its first garrison in March of the same year.
Fort Morgan is at the tip of Mobile Point at the western terminus of State Route 180 (Alabama). It and Dauphin Island, on which Fort Gaines is situated, enclose Mobile Bay. The Alabama Historical Commission maintains the site.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/66000146