Address: W of Tucson off W. Anklam Rd. on Tumamoc Hill, Tucson, Arizona. County/parish: Pima.
3 contributing buildings. 1 contributing site.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places October 15, 1966.
Also known as:
The Desert Laboratory is a historic biological research facility at 1675 West Anklam Road in Tucson, Arizona. It was founded by the Carnegie Institution in 1903 to study how plants survive and thrive in the heat and aridity of deserts, and was the first such privately funded effort in the nation. Beginning in 1906, numerous long term ecological observation areas were set up by Volney Spalding & Forrest Shreve on the 860 acres (3.5 km2) scientific domain of Tumamoc Hill. Nine of these are the world's oldest permanent ecology study quadrats. The facility and staff were key contributors to what is now considered the science of ecology, including participating in the creation of the Ecological Society of America in 1915 and the Ecology journal. Led by Spalding & Shreve, they also contributed innovations in conservation.
Part of it was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1965. The rest was added in 1987.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/66000190