1 contributing building. 1 contributing site.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places October 15, 1966.
Fort Jesup, also known as Fort Jesup State Historic Site or Fort Jesup or Fort Jesup State Monument, was built in 1822, 22 miles (35 km) west of Natchitoches, Louisiana, to protect the United States border with New Spain and to return order to the Neutral Strip. Originally named Cantonment Jesup, the fort operated from 1822 until 1846. After the abandonment of the fort in 1846, the United States federal government continued to own the abandoned fort site until the privatization of the site in 1869.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/66000381