Address: U.S. 380, Lincoln, New Mexico. County/parish: Lincoln.
28 contributing buildings. 1 contributing site.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places October 15, 1966.
Lincoln Historic District is a historic district encompassing the community of Lincoln, New Mexico. The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. The historic district contains 48 structures, some privately held, 12 miles (19 km) east of Capitan and 57 miles (92 km) west of Roswell along U.S. Route 380.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960. The National Park Service reviewer of the site, who visited in 1974, believed that it was the best preserved frontier "cow town" in the United States.
Seventeen of the buildings are owned by the state of New Mexico and operated as Lincoln Historic Site under the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs. Four of the buildings are open as museums year round, and two are open seasonally. It includes a number of buildings, including Wright House, Dr. Wood's Office, the Watson House, Curry Saloon, Wortley Hotel, Penfield Shop and Home, Tunstall Store, Old Mill, Ellis Store, Old Courthouse, and Montano Store.
The town is notable for its famous residents who participated in the Lincoln County War, and as the site of Billy the Kid's most famous escape in April 1881.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/66000477