Address: 3 mi. E of U.S. 9, Port Kent, New York. County/parish: Essex.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places October 15, 1966.
Elkanah Watson House is a National Historic Landmark located in Port Kent, New York. The formal stone house overlooks Lake Champlain to the east and was designed by Sheldon & Merritt. It was constructed under the supervision of Charles Watson as the residence of his father, Elkanah Watson. It originally occupied a small portion of Watson's 5,000-acre property on the lake, but pieces were later sold off and have been developed for other residences.
The senior Watson was a Revolutionary-era diplomat, founder of the agricultural fair, which he developed to stimulate competition and best practices, with activities for women and children; a banker and businessman, and an early promoter of canals in New York State. He occupied the house in May 1828 and also operated a farm on his property. The house was later the residence of Winslow C. Watson, one of his sons and a historian who completed Elkanah's autobiography. Elkanah Watson is buried in the family cemetery located near the house. Most outbuildings from the time the property was a working farm have been removed.
The house was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1964. The house is owned privately and used as a residence; it is not open to the public.
The house is located on the southwest corner of Lake Street and South Street in Port Kent.(read more...)
Significant persons associated with this site:
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/66000518