Address: Livingston Ave. and Oak Tree Rd., Tappan, New York. County/parish: Rockland.
1 contributing building.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places October 15, 1966.
The DeWint House, in Tappan, New York, is one of the oldest surviving structures in Rockland County and is an outstanding example of Hudson Valley Dutch Colonial architecture. It was built using brick and indigenous stone in 1700 by Daniel DeClark, a Hollander, who emigrated to America in 1676 and bought the land from the native inhabitants in 1682. The date of construction is marked by glazed bricks incorporated into the façade.
In 1746, West Indies planter and American patriot Johannes DeWint and his spouse Antje Dewint bought the house. His daughter, Anna Maria, and her husband, Major Fredericus Blauvelt, lived in the house.
The DeWint House became a temporary headquarters of George Washington while he was Commander-in-Chief during the American Revolution. Washington was a guest in the south parlor twice in 1780 and twice in 1783. The "Washington Room" in the DeWint House is a National Masonic Historic Site.(read more...)
Significant persons associated with this site:
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/66000568