Address: 2 mi. W of Maumee on U.S. 24, Maumee, Ohio. County/parish: Lucas.
1 contributing site.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places October 15, 1966.
The Fallen Timbers Battlefield was the site of the Battle of Fallen Timbers on 20 August 1794. The battle, a decisive American victory over Native American and British opponents, effectively ended the Northwest Indian War, securing the Old Northwest for settlement. An area believed to be the battle site, located in Maumee, Ohio, was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960. That site, now the Fallen Timbers State Memorial, is about 0.25 miles (0.40 km) south of the actual battlefield, which was identified in 1995, and much of which is now preserved as part of the Fallen Timbers Battlefield and Fort Miamis National Historic Site. The National Historic Site was established in 1999 as a partnership between the National Park Service, Toledo MetroParks, and the Ohio Historical Society.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/66000616