Bartram, John, House (NRIS 66000676)
54th St. and Eastwick Ave.,
Pennsylvania. County/parish: Philadelphia.
4 contributing buildings.
2 contributing sites.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
October 15, 1966.
Also known as:
- John Bartram House and Gardens
- Bartram's Garden
- Bartram's Garden is a historic Philadelphia garden and arboretum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Founded in 1728 by botanist John Bartram (1699–1777), it is the oldest surviving botanical garden in North America. Covering 46 acres (19 ha) with an 8-acre (3.2 ha) arboretum, the garden is near the intersection of 54th Street and Lindbergh Boulevard on the west bank of the Schuylkill River.
Its John Bowman Bartram Special Collections Library contains a vast collection of documents and materials related to the history of the Garden, the history of Philadelphia, and the development of the field of botany. The non-profit John Bartram Association operates the Garden in cooperation with the Philadelphia Department of Parks & Recreation. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960.
Bartram's Garden trails make up segments of the East Coast Greenway. (read more...)
Significant persons associated with this site:
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/66000676