8 contributing buildings. 2 contributing sites.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places October 15, 1966.
Fort Concho is a former United States Army installation located in San Angelo, seat of Tom Green County, Texas. It was established in November 1867 at the confluence of the Concho Rivers near no fewer than five major trails such as the Butterfield Overland Mail Route and Goodnight–Loving Trail. At its height, Fort Concho consisted of 40 buildings on 40 acres (16 ha) of land leased by the US Army. The fort was abandoned June 1889 and fell into civilian hands. Over the next twenty years, its buildings were used as residences or recycled for their material in the nearby town of San Angelo. Beginning in the late 1920s, a serious effort has been made to preserve and restore Fort Concho by its eponymous museum organization, founded in 1929. The property has been owned and operated by the city of San Angelo since 1935. It was named a National Historic Landmark on 4 July 1961. Fort Concho is one of the best-preserved examples of the military installations built by the US Army in the state of Texas during the American Indian Wars.
Over its 22-year long career as a US Army base, Fort Concho housed elements of fifteen US Cavalry and Infantry regiments, most prominently the "Buffalo Soldiers" of the 9th and 10th Cavalry and 24th and 25th Infantry regiments. From its establishment in 1867 until 1875, Fort Concho was the principal base of the 4th Cavalry and then of the 10th Cavalry from 1875 to 1882. The fort was of crucial importance during the late American Indian Wars in Texas; it was the headquarters of the short-lived District of the Pecos from 1878 to 1881 and contributed troops to Ranald S. Mackenzie's 1872 summer campaign, the Red River War in 1874, and the Victorio Campaign of 1879–1880.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/66000823