Park name: Petersburg. 1 contributing building. 1 contributing site.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places October 15, 1966.
Five Forks Battlefield is a battlefield of the American Civil War, located in an around the hamlet of Five Forks, Dinwiddie County, Virginia. It is the location of the Battle of Five Forks (April 1, 1865), in which Union Army forces broke through Confederate Army lines, opening the way to gain control of the last rail line to besieged Petersburg. The Confederate loss caused them to abandon that city, which undermined the defense of Richmond, the Confederate capital. Final surrender of the Confederate forces would occur at Appomattox Courthouse two weeks later.
Part of the battlefield site is a unit of Petersburg National Battlefield, with public access that includes access trails to points of interest in the area. An area of more than 1,200 acres (490 ha) around Five Forks was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960. The Civil War Trust (a division of the American Battlefield Trust) and its partners have acquired and preserved 419 acres (1.70 km2) of the battlefield.
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/66000830