Jefferson National Expansion Memorial National Historic Site (NRIS 66000941)
Mississippi River between Washington and Poplar Sts.,
St. Louis (Independent City),
Missouri. County/parish: St. Louis.
Park name: Jefferson National Expansion Memorial National Historic Site.
2 contributing buildings.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
October 15, 1966.
Also known as:
- Old Cathedral
- Old Courthouse
- See Also:Gateway Arch
- Gateway Arch National Park
- Gateway Arch National Park, formerly known as the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial until 2018, is an American national park located in St. Louis, Missouri, near the starting point of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. The Gateway Arch and its immediate surroundings were initially designated as a national memorial by executive order on December 21, 1935, and redesignated as a national park in 2018. The park is maintained by the National Park Service (NPS).
The memorial was established to commemorate:
the Louisiana Purchase, and the subsequent westward movement of American explorers and pioneers;
the first civil government west of the Mississippi River; and
the debate over slavery raised by the Dred Scott case.The national park consists of the Gateway Arch, a steel catenary arch that has become the definitive icon of St. Louis; a 91-acre (36.8 ha) park along the Mississippi River on the site of the earliest buildings of the city; the Old Courthouse, a former state and federal courthouse where the Dred Scott case originated; and the 140,000 sq ft (13,000 m2) museum at the Gateway Arch. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/66000941