Address: E edge of Colony, Colony, Oklahoma. County/parish: Washita.
1 contributing building.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places January 01, 1973.
The Seger Indian Training School was a historic school on the eastern edge of Colony, Oklahoma. John Homer Seger, a white settler in the Indian Territory, founded the school in 1893. Seger had come to the Darlington Agency in 1875 to work as a teacher, and he established the Seger Colony (the predecessor of Colony) in 1886 with 120 Arapaho. His school taught farming and industrial skills to Native Americans until it closed in 1941; one of the buildings later became Colony's public school.
The school was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971; at the time, its buildings were stated to be in poor condition. It was removed from the Register in 1973.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/71001080