Address: 1630 Main St., Elwood, Indiana. County/parish: Madison.
1 contributing building.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places January 19, 1990.
Wendell L. Willkie School, also known as the Central School, was a historic school building located at Elwood, Madison County, Indiana. It was built between 1893 and 1895, and was originally a two-story, Romanesque Revival style stone and brick building. A third floor was added at a later date. Republican presidential candidate Wendell L. Willkie attended the school from about 1898 to 1910; it was named for him in 1944. Newer building burned June 22, 1988; older building razed same year.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and delisted in 1990.(read more...)
Significant persons associated with this site:
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/75000029