Address: Idora Park on Canfield Rd., Youngstown, Ohio. County/parish: Mahoning.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places October 29, 1985.
Jane's Carousel (formerly Idora Park Merry-Go-Round) is a carved, wooden, 48-horse carousel that was built in 1922 for the Idora Park amusement park in Youngstown, Ohio by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company. It was carved by John Zalar and Frank Carretta, each of whom are attributed with carvings on carousels constructed by PTC and other carousel companies like Looff. The carousel has 30 "jumpers," 18 "standers," two chariots, and a Gebrüder Bruder Band Organ that provides the carousel’s music. Jane's Carousel was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on February 6, 1975, the first carousel to receive such designation. The merry-go-round is not currently listed in the NRHP database, having been delisted (having its listing status changed to "RN") on October 29, 1985.
When Idora Park closed to the public in 1984, the carousel was bought at auction by Jane and David Walentas and moved to Brooklyn, New York, for restoration. It was opened to the public at its new location in Brooklyn Bridge Park on the East River in Brooklyn on September 16, 2011. The building commissioned by the Walentas to house the carousel was designed by the French architect Jean Nouvel.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/75001482