Address: Washington and Dearborn Sts., Chicago, Illinois. County/parish: Cook.
1 contributing building.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places December 08, 1995.
McCarthy Building was a five-story Chicago Landmark building in the Loop community area of Chicago, Illinois. Located in the southwest corner of the block on the northeast corner of North Dearborn Street and West Washington Street, the John M. Van Osdel designed building had been erected in 1872, but was demolished in 1989 during the clearing of what is known as Chicago's Block 37. In order to make way for Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley's redevelopment, the Chicago City Council had to revoke the privately owned building's landmark status in 1987.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/76000698