1 contributing building.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places November 30, 1987.
The Steele County Courthouse is the seat of government for Steele County, located in Owatonna, Minnesota, United States. It was built in 1891. The courthouse is a three-story Austin red-brick building with red mortar, accented with Lake Superior brown stone. It was designed by T. D. Allen of Minneapolis in a Romanesque Revival and Italianate style, featuring corner towers, a turret, and a large clock on four sides. Windows are arched and a statue representing Mercy, Law, and Justice sits above the north face of the building. Polished granite columns support double arches at the entrances. The interior is decorated with wainscoting, woodwork, and an ornate oak staircase. The courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 for having local significance in the themes of architecture and politics/government. It was nominated for its Romanesque Revival architecture and long service as Steele County's government seat.
Steele County's previous county courthouse, built in 1874, was also listed on the National Register but was demolished in 1987 and removed from the register. The current courthouse is also a contributing property to the Owatonna Commercial Historic District.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/76001076