Address: 225 E. Bishop St., Bellefonte, Pennsylvania. County/parish: Centre.
2 contributing buildings.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places December 17, 2008.
Bellefonte Academy was a historic school building located at Bellefonte, Centre County, Pennsylvania. The original building was built in 1805, as a two-story, rectangular limestone building. It was enlarged between 1839 and 1845, with the addition of two bays and wings to the north and south. After a fire in 1904, the building was rebuilt with the addition of a third story and the addition of a portico with six Tuscan order columns and Classical Revival style details. The wings were enlarged in 1913. Also on the property was the headmaster's house.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. It was delisted in 2008, after it was destroyed by fire on July 14, 2004. It was also included in the Bellefonte Historic District.(read more...)
Significant persons associated with this site:
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/76001617