Address: N of Trumbull at 255 Whitney Ave., Trumbull, Connecticut. County/parish: Fairfield.
3 contributing buildings.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places October 19, 2009.
The Kaatz Icehouse was located on the shore of Kaatz Pond, off Whitney Road in Trumbull, Connecticut. It was a wood-framed structure, built in 1908 by Ernest Kaatz, who ran an ice harvesting operation between 1908 and 1955. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 19, 1977. It was razed in 1978 due to deterioration. The local historical society claims it was the last icehouse standing in New England.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/77001395