Point Bolivar Lighthouse (NRIS 77001445)
TX. County/parish: Galveston.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
August 18, 1977.
- Point Bolivar Light
- Point Bolivar Light is a historic lighthouse in Port Bolivar, Texas, that was built in 1872. It served for 61 years before being retired in 1933, when its function was replaced by a different light.
The current lighthouse is at least the second structure at the site. The first lighthouse was built in 1852 of cast iron made at the Baltimore foundry of Murray and Hazlehurst, and was pulled down during the Civil War so that Union warships could not use it as a navigational aid. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/77001445