Mission Nuestra Senora de los Dolores de los Ais Site (NRIS 77001475)
TX. County/parish: San Augustine.
1 contributing site.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
December 16, 1977.
Also known as:
- Mission Dolores State Historic Site
- Mission Dolores State Historic Site (41SA25) (also known as the Mission Nuestra Señora de los Dolores de los Ais) is a 36-acre historic site including a 9-acre (3.6 ha) archaeological site listed on the National Register of Historic Places in San Augustine County, Texas that preserves the location of a Franciscan mission originally established in 1721. The site is located on the original El Camino Real de los Tejas trail. The site has no above ground remains of the mission but the mission's location is confirmed through archeological excavations. It is located half a mile south of San Augustine in the Piney Woods region of east Texas. Operated by the Texas Historical Commission, the site includes a campground, museum, gift shop and hiking trails. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/77001475