Texas & Pacific Steam Locomotive No. 610 (NRIS 77001477)
Felix and Hemphill Sts.,
Texas. County/parish: Tarrant.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
March 25, 1977.
- Texas and Pacific 610
- Texas and Pacific 610 is a 2-10-4 steam locomotive that was originally operated by the Texas and Pacific Railway (T&P). Built in 1927, 610 was a major work-horse for the Texas & Pacific. By the early 1950s, however, the T&P had scrapped all of their "Texas" type locomotives, save 610 and 638, with 610 being donated to the Fort Worth Fat Stock Show in 1951, and the locomotive sat on display at the Will Rogers Memorial Center.
In 1976, the locomotive was restored so it could be used to haul the American Freedom Train for the portion of its tour in Texas. After pulling the American Freedom Train, the locomotive was leased by the Southern Railway in 1977 for use in its steam excursion program. The Southern Railway re-lettered the locomotive as "Southern 610", and operated it for four years, before returning it to Texas in 1982.
From 1982 it was on display by the Trinity Valley Railfans on GSA property located on James Avenue in Fort Worth. Due to GSA downsizing the property and need to hand off the portion the display was at to the City of Fort Worth, the 610 was moved, locomotive and building to the Texas State Railroad.
The locomotive is now on static display at the Texas State Railroad in Palestine, Texas; it is the only surviving example of a T&P "Texas" type locomotive; also the largest non-articulated steam locomotive preserved built by the Lima Locomotive Works. Sister engine #638 also survived for a brief time, but was scrapped due to vandalism.
The locomotive is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/77001477