Address: 3 mi. W of Troy on SC 36, Troy, South Carolina. County/parish: Mccormick.
Removed from the National Register of Historic Places January 01, 1979.
Bradley's Covered Bridge, also known as the Long Cane Covered Bridge, was a covered bridge located near Troy, South Carolina.
Until its fiery destruction by vandals, the Long Cane Covered Bridge, listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, was one of three covered bridges in South Carolina. The bridge was constructed in 1892 by Y.P. Reagan to replace an earlier bridge, which had been washed away in January 1892. The new bridge was originally called "Bradley's Bridge" because it was close by John Bradley's mill.
The covered bridge was built in the Howe style, a type of construction, which introduced iron rods into the bridge trusses. That popular design served as a transition from wooden bridges to those built of iron and steel. The bridge was 30 feet high and spanned 163 feet over Long Cane Creek. It rested on two stone abutments with four supporting piers in the creek bed. The bridge consisted of thirteen boxed X-panel trusses with stabilizing iron turnbuckles. Vertical board and batten siding covered the X-panel trusses and was irregularly cut and remained unpainted. The bridge portals were covered with unpainted wooden clapboards, and the roof was covered with tin.
The bridge was removed from the National Register on August 31, 1979.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/77001512